Sunday, March 5, 2017

Name Change

Our little guy's name in China is Hao Hao (pronounced "how how".) For a long time (since we saw him on a waiting child list), we have been calling him by his name: Hao Hao. As the time came near for us to officially name him and send his name in for his adoption certificate, I found I was still calling him Hao Hao. Often, we would call him Hao and then one of us would say, "I guess we should start calling him Derek." But I just couldn't. He is my little Hao Hao. And then I thought about my Rachel. 2 months younger than her newest brother. And what she would think if someone decided to change her name. She would be indignant. Her name is a part of who she is. She is Rachy.

My mom suggested Howie and it delighted us! I love keeping a piece of his history in his name. I love that it is a natural transition from Hao Hao to Howie.

And, so, just like Andrew (who was Noah until he was born) and Laura (who was Susanna for a long time)...our little Howie had a last minute name change...down to the wire. :) Howard Derek Zopp. Can't wait for him to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment