Monday, March 28, 2016

Glorious Healing

When Laura had her post-op visit about a month after her surgery, we confirmed that a small fistula had formed during her healing. It was about the size of a pencil eraser and in the back of her mouth. Our doctor said he was disappointed to see it, but not surprised. Her cleft was very wide in the back and so the stitches were under a lot of tension. Sometimes, often even, that tension gives way in some spots and small holes form. I was certain I had seen the hole forming as I cared for Laura's palate, so I wasn't surprised when our doctor confirmed it. We were disappointed, though, since a hole meant an extra surgery to continue to try to close the roof of her mouth. Our doctor said to give her some time to completely heal before we started talking about closing the small hole. I asked him if there was any chance it would heal on its own. He said not likely. I decided to pray for healing anyway. Robert and I both prayed for her little mouth.

Last week, while visiting our favorite ENT for Rachel Beth's ears, he asked me how Laura was doing. I told him, "I know you are going to think I'm crazy, but that hole is getting smaller on its own." He said now he was going to have to look and he looked in her mouth and said, "You're right! It is smaller. Let's just leave it alone and see what happens." I am thrilled. Leave it alone sounds wonderful to me. Not doing another palate surgery this year is gift from God! She will still have more surgeries in the future, but will also have some needed time to grow and heal in all ways before we tackle another surgical hurdle.

Sister love! 
Laura is healing emotionally as well. Things that seem like tiny steps mean so much for her. Her little heart is healing as well as her mouth. Day by day, by God's glorious grace, she is learning what it means to be loved unconditionally.  To have siblings who love to play and help. To have enough to eat. (So much, that she now feels enough freedom to throw what she doesn't like on the floor!) To have a family who provides and protects.
Laura loves all things technology and is obsessed with big brother's Nook. 

I have said it before, but I must say it again. I am so humbled that God called us to adopt and am ever thankful that in His sovereignty, He chose Laura for us and us for Laura.

Looking a little deviant as she sneaks some early morning candy. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zopp Family!

    Thank you for sharing your story with us. I came across your blog and I wanted to reach out and ask if you would help us share some information. We have some amazing students from China this year who are in need of loving volunteer host families to host them during their time in the US.
    Our students arrive with their own spending money, insurance, speak English and attend the local high school. I'd love to share more information about hosting with our program if you or anyone you know is willing to open their heart and home to one of our amazing exchange students. We sincerely believe hosting a student will increase cultural awareness and help open the doors of international diplomacy.

    Thank you!
    Sarah
    Education, Travel & Culture
    A nonprofit student exchange program
    www.edutrav.org
    srohler@edutrav.org

    ReplyDelete