This morning our travel group met at 9:30 to take the bus to a government building where all the children were delivered to us by orphanage officials.
There are 16 families in our group adopting 18 children. Today, I was honored to witness one child after another be handed into the arms of their forever families. Every child reacted differently. Some were terrified, others seemed to be in a state of shock. Some just eased right into life with their family with giggles and play. What an amazing thing to see families be formed. Orphans become daughters and sons.
Zhou Hui Jing, our Laura Catherine, came in on the hip of the director of her orphanage. I recognized her sweet face from afar but was surprised at how tiny she is! She is much smaller than we anticipated. We were told 20 pounds, but there is no way she is that big. The orphanage director pointed at me and said "Ma-ma" to Laura and handed her over.
Laura was unsure at first. She cried a little...I am sure I look so strange to her! Nothing like the women who have been caring for her. She warmed up quickly though. She ate mum-mum crackers I brought and played with the ball with me. She asks to be picked up by lifting her arms toward me.
My prayers that she feel safe with me have been answered. She has not left my hip/chest since we arrived at the hotel. She definitely has a lot of anxiety and fear but I am glad she finds comfort, even if just a little bit, with me. Praying she will feel secure and relax in the next few days.
I am concerned about her nutrition and health. She is refusing the bottle from me and she is so thin...I want to make sure she gets enough to eat. She wouldn't take the bottle today, so I fed her solid food and she seemed to enjoy it.
Tomorrow we will finalize the adoption at the local registration office and will apply for her passport as well.
So amazing Amy! So glad you guys are finally almost together as a family. Praying continually for you guys.
ReplyDeleteSo amazing Amy! So glad you guys are finally almost together as a family. Praying continually for you guys.
ReplyDeleteOne of the most amazing experiences!!! Watching children become sons and daughters. A day and an emotion you will never forget! Congratulations on your beautiful daughter!!!
ReplyDelete