Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Consulate Appointment and Traditional Group Photos

Today is Wednesday in China and we had our Consulate appointment/interview early this morning. The U.S. Consulate looks over the adoption paperwork from Henan and issues Laura her visa and citizenship to the United States. When we land in our port city on early Friday morning, the United States Immigration will put two stamps on her passport and she will officially be an American citizen. We will then have to do several other paperwork/legal things in the U.S. to get her social security card and an American birth certificate (just to make it easier on her when she needs to apply for a driver's license, etc.)

This morning's interview was not without drama, unfortunately. The notary official in Henan forgot to put a seal on our Adoption Certificate. The Consulate's first reaction was that we would have to stay in China until this problem had been resolved. I nearly lost it at that point! I am so ready to see my family and so close...all I could think was "no! I can't go back to Henan!" However, it turns out that every member of our large travel group is missing the same seal. The notary just forgot it that day (!) So, given that all our children were missing the same thing, the Consulate graciously decided to make an exception. They got on the phone with the officials in Henan and had them confirm that these adoptions are legal and legitimate. Also, the Henan notary is flying the new, correct certificates to the consulate this afternoon.

I am now breathing again! It looks like we will be leaving on time...barring any more paperwork issues. We should have Laura's visa by tomorrow afternoon. (Thursday.)
I got Laura Cate all dressed in her red, white, and blue for Consulate day. But, after our appointment she was all done (and so was I!) and not in the mood for photos. But, here is my girl in her patriotic dress, munching on rice cookies in the hotel room. 

We took the traditional Chinese dress photos this morning after the Consulate appointment. We have three groups combined here in Guangzhou. 19 families adopting 22 children! What a privilege to be here as 22 orphans become sons and daughters.






We are leaving in the middle of the night on Thursday/Friday. Our bus leaves the hotel at 9:00 p.m. and our flight takes off from Guangzhou at 1:40 a.m. 16 hours in the air. Then a short lay over at JFK where we will clear immigration/customs, Laura will become a citizen, and we will board a flight to Tampa. Somehow, after 24 hours of travel, it will still just be Friday morning when we arrive. Please pray for on time flights, a sleepy baby, and smooth travel! I cannot wait to hug my husband and babies, to just sit at home with them and soak up being around them! I am also ready for an ice cold drink, a hot shower in which I don't have to worry about water getting in my mouth, and some good home food. Oh, and a washing machine. Funny the things you miss. Can't wait to be home!

3 comments:

  1. I had a heart attack just reading that HUGE mistake!!! So thankful that it was fixed and you weren't delayed!!! Praying for smooth travels home! I know you are SO READY to get home to American soil and your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would understand the drama and panic! Thankful for our CCAI guides too! One of the dads went and found them (waiting outside the Consulate) and he said he has never seen people move so fast! :)

      Delete
  2. I just read this and am so glad that when I did, I had already seen Robert's post that you were "on your way!" I can only imagine how you must have felt when there was an administrative reason that could potentially have held you all up. If you see this somewhere along the way from there back to home, please know I am praying for a sleepy travel companion and friendly people in the seats around you. Can't wait to meet the precious child you are bringing home! And to see your other precious children reunite with their mommy!

    ReplyDelete