Saturday, October 24, 2015

Guangzhou City Tour Part 1: Buddhist Temple

Yesterday (Saturday) was a LONG day of travel! We took a bus from our hotel in Zhengzhou to the airport, flew to Guangzhou and then another bus to the hotel in Guangzhou. Laura was not a fan of the flying and she let everyone know. It was a long flight. But, after we landed in Guangzhou, we were welcomed with blue skies, sunshine, flowers, and warm humid air. I was so glad to get here! Our hotel is fabulous and has several parks and restaurants within walking distance. We won't be here long (we leave Thursday night), but I am happy for the change!

Today (Sunday), we have some paperwork and prep to get ready for our interview at the Consulate. But, since that won't take all day, we spent the morning going on a tour of some of Guangzhou's historical marks. I'll do the tour in multiple posts because I took a lot of pictures...

The first stop was a Buddhist temple, originally built about 1400 years ago. Honestly, the place made me sad and my Spirit was just stirred with grief for these people who are enslaved to the rituals of this religion. Many people were there worshipping the idols. They lit incense to "call on the spirits of the Buddas". There were several alters within the temple where people would petition for their needs to be met. Is it weird that I started singing "Jesus Loves Me" to Laura as we walked through? We were told the rules to their religion as we walked. How they believed they could earn a better after life. How we were receiving 7 points toward a better life by saving the lives of these adopted children.

I wish now that I had plopped down with those sweet people and prayed over them. That they would know the truth of Jesus and that they would be set free from the bondage of earning ones salvation. For it is by the grace of God that I was born into a family who taught me the truth and it is by His grace alone that I look forward to eternity with Him. I did pray as I walked through that the Lord would send His people to witness to these people in China. Our guide told us there are 1.3 billion people in this country. The majority "have no religion. We believe nothing exists except the government." I prayed as I walked, that if He would send us, we would be brave enough to go. And I am thankful He gave us Laura and that she will have the hope of salvation in her life.

"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? An dhow shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!" -Romans 10:14-15

View of Guangzhou from our room...hooray for sun!

Incense burning at the temple

The Chinese characters under the statue mean "Seven Banyan Trees" (the name of this temple)



Offering table in front of the god of good health




The main tower in the temple is under renovation/preservation




Alter for the goddess of fertility


No comments:

Post a Comment